INTRODUCTION THREAD

New to the site? Start your experience here!

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Typhoon

Odysseus

INTRODUCTION THREAD

Post by Odysseus » Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:48 pm

You've just stepped into one of the best online resource forums for the Battletech Universe. If you're new to this site, theres a few specifics I need to point out. We have a lot of unique features on here, and it would be worth your while to learn briefly about them. So take a moment to read through this Welcome Center forum and faq and get familiar with some of the features of Battletech Universe.

If you still have questions after reading through the FAQs, feel free to post them. Myself or one of the other members will gladly help.

Let us know you've arrived! Take a moment to reply to this post and tell us where you came from. And when you're ready, fill out our Faction Request form to join one of the Battletech factions we have available, and you will automatically be entered into that faction and will have the ability to start gaining rank!

Welcome to Battletech Universe!
Last edited by Odysseus on Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Administrator of Battletech Universe
Administrator of MyBattletech Media Server
Managing Editor of Argent Fire

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:05 am

I like it. The new setup is great. :D Very well done, Odysseus. 8)

*Edit* Umm, I just noticed that while the amount of C-Bills we have still shows up, the label is missing. :?
"Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers! Target everyone! Somebody fire!"

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:24 am

Is it? ahh. OK, thank you. I can see it but you can't. I'll fix it today. Thanks for pointing it out I wouldnt have known.

*edit* fixed

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:11 am

Cool, thanks. :D I did not realise you could not see that it was missing. I merely thought that you had overlooked it. I am glad that I was able to help.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:13 am

Its all in the code. I was able to see it cause I was admin. The code that displayed that particular line of text is formatted differently for you than for me. Mine is a link. I can click the "C-Bills" and assign members C-Bills if I wanted to :P

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:52 am

Ahh, I see. So I guess I will be getting some kind of reward for pointing it out to you? :wink:

*Edit* Umm, I just noticed that the same problem as above occurs when I try to view someone's profile. :P

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:15 am

Ok, I hate to bring up something else, but I just noticed that the color of login names is bad. According to the current colors showing for names of those who have logged in during the past 48 hours, there have been three moderators, and nine administrators. The only difference between Odysseus' login and the rest of the "administrators" is that Odysseus' name is bold. If that is intentional, then I appologize for mentioning this.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:55 am

It is intentional actually. What I will probably do is change the admin's color. The reason is, the standard link color on the site is that brown, and the average username's color is therefore brown too. I'm just gonna change mine to like white or something.

Vapor
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Vapor » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:41 am

Ok. I am going to shut up, now. :P

richymimer

Post by richymimer » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:16 am

Hi my username's richymimer. i'm new :oops: i do not Know what you have to do in this site? :?: Do you play games here :?: :!:

Kyu Kage

Post by Kyu Kage » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:05 am

Just signed on.

Very nice site. Think it's going to become one of my regular ones.... :)

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:06 am

Welcome richy. Do you have any experience in what Battletech or MechWarrior is? Either way, read the Forum FAQ, http://www.battletechuniverse.org/FAQ/ for some general information to how some of the features of the site works.

If you still have questions, just ask! Most of the members here will be happ to help :) Thanks for coming.

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:19 am

Kyu Kage wrote:Just signed on.

Very nice site. Think it's going to become one of my regular ones.... :)
Thanks Kyu, glad you could be here! Its nice having an international community of Battletech fans on here.

Culverin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Culverin » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:58 pm

wow, this forum sure looks good...

i think i'll pop in here from time to time....
8)

edit:
oh yeah, i'm a dragoon.
why don't i have a faction up?
:P

oh yeah, if you can some how get the wolfnet insignia, that's what i'd like...

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:11 pm

You can join the Wolf's Dragoon's faction by filling out the faction request form at http://www.battletechuniverse.org/factionlist.html

If there's a faction you want to join thats not listed, you can also use the form to request the faction you want. I'm able to add new factions to the database, but I'll need a few things first:

A faction insignia - the logo of the faction/unit, etc you want to join.

Rank images - That faction must have a set rank. Either they will have thri own unique ranking structure, or they will inherit the ranking structure from another faction (for example, the Eridani Light Horse inherits their ranking structure from the SLDF).

Once I have those, I can begin adding that faction to the database. Let me know if you have your questions about it.

Mr.Humble
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Mr.Humble » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:57 pm

Nice place *Adds to Favorites list* gonna have to keep pokin' me old nose in here....faction thing is different....hasn't 'automatically' done anything that i can tell yet...think i joined the CHH twice now...

Mr.H

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:09 pm

Its not automatic :) I take your request you sent and then I assign you into the faction. Sorry for the *slight* delay

Quezacotl

Post by Quezacotl » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:33 pm

hey everyone, I'm Quezacotl, I just stumbled across this site while looking for a good battletech site (my quest is now complete!! ) I'm new to this whole thing. I heard about battle tech a while ago, through mech commander and thought nothing of it for a while, but recently noticed a battletech starter pack in my local comic shop, along with some well painted minitures so thought "hell, why not!", unfortunately I had no money with me . so I decided to find out a little about the game, which led me here. I'm used to miniture wargaming (5 year veteran of warhammer 40K) and i've just got a couple of questions about the game...
how similar is it to GW games?
How technical is it?(the more the better)
is it still in print? (may sound like a stupit question, but I couldn't find an official site)
and finally how much room for improvisation is there?
thanks for any help!!!

whoa that was longer than i expected...

Odysseus

Post by Odysseus » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:56 pm

Hello my friend! I am the Administrator here. You have come to the right place for Battletech! You will soon love the game. I will try to answer a few of your questions, though there are others here who could do a better job.
Quezacotl wrote: How technical is it?(the more the better)
VERY technical. There's over 6o novels in the entire Battletech series. There are probably way over 100 Technical Readouts, Souecebooks, Field Manuals, Game Rules and other supplemental material. You have years of information to read. The Battletech Universe truly is a universe!
Quezacotl wrote: is it still in print? (may sound like a stupit question, but I couldn't find an official site)
Most defenately. Though Battletech in general has sort of been split in 2. Originally creted by FASA, they went out of business a few years ago. WizKids Games has taken over the intellectual properties. They advanced the timeline approximately 60 years from where the "classic battletech" timeline left off. That storyline is now under the banner of "MechWarrior: Dark Age" and the original timeline is called Classic Battletech. Here's some official links:

Classic Battletech - http://www.classicbattletech.com
WizKids Games - http://www.wizkidsgames.com

Being fresh to Battletech, you may really like the new Dark Age series. Some long time CBT (classic battletech) veterans don't really care for it as it doesnt have the same spirit of Battletech that their used to :) (yet!)
Quezacotl wrote: and finally how much room for improvisation is there?
Tons. We have a custom design forum here where over 200 custom designs - some modifications of originals and some completely brand new, are submitted. We have a fanfiction forum AND a character roleplay forum. All of these are fan-based - stories based in the Battletech Universe yet created and run by the fans themselves. The Universe is open to much improvosation.

You should really like it here. This is a faily new site in the large scheme of things and we have a lot to offer already. Please let me know if yoiu have any questions or comments. Glad to have you here!

Quezacotl

thanks!

Post by Quezacotl » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:54 pm

lol, Battle tech helped me out today when I had to do a story for my english GCSE, I guess I owe it now :D . This site is deffinatly becoming one of my haunts!

dockilldare

new memebers

Post by dockilldare » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:20 pm

well hello everyone. this is my first of many stops here. i am a merc who hates the clans. just waiting for my commando affiliation to come through. so far i love this site, and i am sure i will be here often.

War Angel

Post by War Angel » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:30 pm

Glad to hear it man! Welcome aboard, fellow merc (don't let the DC tags fool ya)!

desiredtoe

Post by desiredtoe » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:51 am

I'm the Desired Toe, and I am from Barrie Ont. Canada. I am new to this site, so take it easy on me ok?

Jern
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Jern » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:58 am

desiredtoe wrote:I'm the Desired Toe, and I am from Barrie Ont. Canada. I am new to this site, so take it easy on me ok?
Welcome! And look out for CoW and Arch...they will tear you a knew one man... 8)

Archangeln
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Archangeln » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:27 pm

Welcome! And look out for CoW and Arch...they will tear you a knew one man...
Yeah, you had better watch out for CoW..he is a mean one....or is that me? I can never remember. Oh Well those are the breaks.
Welcome to the site...and dont tell Jern but his time is coming... 8)
[fullalbumimg]572[/fullalbumimg]
'Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have
thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and
poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she
wants to quit because she's losing. Well I say, hard cheese." '
- Mr Burns, from the Simpsons