New DIY gaming table and terrain tiles

Show off your creative building skills, read how-to's and provide/receive construction help.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

New DIY gaming table and terrain tiles

Post by Stormwarden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 pm

I am new to this forum but I wanted to share my new game table and terrain with everyone, it was a blast to make.

The hexes are cut into MDF with a CNC router table using a 1/8" bit cutting 1/8" into the material. They are 1.6" from side to side, slightly larger than Geo-Hex (which I couldn't find so I made my own). Bigger hexes meant that I needed to stretch the table a bit to keep the large battlefield size and feel.

I decided to flock both the top and bottom of all terrain pieces as well as the table itself and this has resulted in very stable terrain that does not move during game-play unless you really bump it.

Do I build a pedestal or not? Haven t decided on that one. A lid is still planned for the table though.

This is, of course, still a work in progress. I need to get another coat of black on the frame but I couldn't wait to share some pictures (guess which era I like best?).

The text and logos are engraved 1/8" deep into the MDF, the top has a 1/8" round over...bottom also.

Notice the roads and rivers. The roads still need the yellow stripes down the middle (I will make a jig for that).

The buildings need lots of work yet, I need to redo them and add windows, etc. That too will require a jig. They just do not look like buildings to me.

Custom tree hexes are in the works, there will be three railroad trees on each hex with enough room in the center for the mech to sit. I did a prototype tonight and it worked great. I should have taken a picture of that also but next time.

AVA MANGO TWO
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by AVA MANGO TWO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 am

"3025 Playing it old school" aint that the only way to play it... Seriously if i played on hexes this would be the table i would want to game on, as i mentioned on LOTB outstanding work and a huge effert you should be very proud of yourself, welcome to BTU. 8)

Teppudama
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Teppudama » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:50 am

Simply awesome!
Crimson Ace Dragoons
Mercenaries for Hire
Pantheon Arms
Arms and Munitions Manufacture

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:58 am

I would play on hexes if I had that table!! Fantastic job. You ought to look into selling the hexes if you are able.

BTW....Welcome to the "Family"!!

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Stormwarden » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks folks, as AVA MANGO mentioned, I have been posting this on other forums but I get a kick out of the reaction that it gets so I wanted to find other venues to share it.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forums. I do hope to find a Battletech "Home" on the web. I am already starting to gather Steam friends to chat about Battletech with.

Thecirus, since you are a moderator and bring the subject up I assume that I would not be censured for discussing it; I have thought about making the foam terrain and a foam board that links together rather than the wooden board. This way I could sell and ship the whole thing cheaper. It would not, of course, have the fancy frame, lol.

thecircus
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thecircus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 am

Stormwarden wrote: Thecirus, since you are a moderator and bring the subject up I assume that I would not be censured for discussing it; I have thought about making the foam terrain and a foam board that links together rather than the wooden board. This way I could sell and ship the whole thing cheaper. It would not, of course, have the fancy frame, lol.
No, you would not.

Jeff
"This is Liberty Hall, You can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!"

[fullalbumimg]3303[/fullalbumimg]
[fullalbumimg]3543[/fullalbumimg]

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Awesome job!
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

shalom itay
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by shalom itay » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:39 pm

welcome to BTU mate!

This looks great, it is rare to see a hex table map this days.
A few closeups would be great, Mechs in tress etc...

Do you plan a game soon (with pics :wink: )?

beaker
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by beaker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:15 pm

:shock: WOW!!!! :shock: That is some incredible workmanship.
Therefore take heed how you impawn our person, how you awake our sleeping sword of war:... Henry V

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Stormwarden » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks folks, it is fun to build.

I much prefer to play on hex maps/terrain and so since it is so hard to find Geo-Hex anymore (and expensive) I decided to make my own.

I will be taking more pictures, close ups, etc. I have a small game on Monday and a large game coming up on the 7th where the group agreed to let me bring the table to play on. The tree hexes will be built by Monday night. Hopefully painted and flocked as well.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

David

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Stormwarden » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:48 pm

New update; the trees are done!

I borrowed heavily from a tree hex design from John Blackwell on the CBT forums, thanks John. These hexes are cnc made to fit down into the 1/8" slots so they are very stable on the game board. The trees are cheap chinese rail road trees in z scale. The tall trees are heavy woods and the short trees are of course light woods.

First off-a shot of our game last night.

Aaron's merc unit, the Draughty Kilts, (reenforced lance of 6) were defending their home base from a company of green Liao CapCon mechs. The Liao mechs did a combat drop but their inexperience resulted in a misdrop that spread them all over the board. Four of the mechs missed their piloting skill rolls on landing and crashed to the earth... the Vulcan landed on his HEAD! That pilot took a critical hit to life support and was killed (rolled snake-eyes for hit location on falling and our house rule is to roll again to see where the damage and crit went, then rolled a 12....drat!)

With my mechs spread all over hell and gone Aaron was able to bring his reenforced lance over and pounce on a couple of stragglers.

The battle ended with one of my mechs dead (the Vulcan) three more seriously wounded and their spirit broken. Aaron's Dragon limped off the field one leg the worse for wear, a Jenner missing most of its armor and a Commando minus it's left arm.

All in all a great battle and the new terrain table really helped to heighten the fun!

And now for the trees. I did not have these done in time for last night's battle. We flocked the hexes and then blew some stuff up. This morning I went out to the shop and hot-glued the trees into holes on the hexes and took these pictures.

As you can see, two Pillars of Jade Mercenary company (currently contracted to the Capellian Confederation) mechs are being hounded by a couple of lances of pirate scum on the planet Dolgren III.

The Hermes hides in the woods attempting to throw off the aim of his pursuers.

The Hunchback is attmpting to come to the aid of the Hermes not knowing that there is a Blackjack moving around the building to intercept.

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Stormwarden » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 pm

I took the table to a monthly event in Grand Rapids (MI) the other day, it seemed to be a hit!

There were 10 players, several others hung out to watch and play in the Virtual World Battletech Simulator Pods after the tabletop game.

The venue was Skynet Gaming in Grand Rapids on Plainfield. They have PCs, Consoles, gaming tables and of course the Simulator Pods that I mentioned.

Here are some pictures of the event and one showing the travel crate that I built to protect the table in transit.

First the crate (like you couldn't tell)

Matt setting up the scenario

All set up and ready to go

Jeff "Goober" Stone gave me a great idea when he suggested that I add dice towers to each corner of the table....soooo...stay tuned for that! :)

I have the dice tables designed and laid out on the CAD program I just need to run them on the CNC.

If I can, I plan on printing vinyl stickers of the combat tables to add to the dice towers. No more checking the book real quick to find out what a roll of 5 on the LRM15 missile table is. (it was enough to take the last of the shielding from Goober's limp wristed purple Dragon)

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates. (like roll-out writing surfaces...)

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:55 am

My biggest suggestion is to make some hexes that slope that you can fit around the hills! As the hills are now they look like a mech would require jump jets to get on them. The multilevel hills could have one or two sides sloping to make them look a bit more realistic. Otherwise, this is an amazing set up! Praise from a player who does not like playing on hexes. Excellent work, Stormwarden!

thatjimboguy
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by thatjimboguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 am

Looks like you guys had an awesome game.
"Win if you can. Lose if you must, but always cheat" - Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Stormwarden
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Stormwarden » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks gents, it was a great game.

As for sculpting slopes; I had thought of that, I can put a large 65 or 75 degree bevel bit into the CNC machine as I cut some out that would give me that edge, and still have the hexes scribed into them ala Geo-hex. I am still thinking about it though as I am very happy with the way things are now. Good suggestion though, thanks.

David

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Post by Typhoon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:45 am

Stormwarden wrote:Thanks gents, it was a great game.

As for sculpting slopes; I had thought of that, I can put a large 65 or 75 degree bevel bit into the CNC machine as I cut some out that would give me that edge, and still have the hexes scribed into them ala Geo-hex. I am still thinking about it though as I am very happy with the way things are now. Good suggestion though, thanks.

David
It would give you a more natural look to the hills.

Another option that just came to mind is to curve the edges slightly to imply a slope. You can leave the main part of the hex flat but slope the edges of the hill hex. However, if you are happy and want to keep it this way then more power to you.